Coaching is a specific approach that takes clients from where they are to where they want to be. A coach is someone who walks beside the client and encourages them to take the steps they need in order to achieve their goals and dreams.
I am a certified coach (ACC) with the International Federation of Coaches (IFC).
What is coaching?
- Developmental and discovery based
- Assumes the coachee is whole and complete
- Asking questions that help coachee discover answers for themselves; not telling the them what to do
How coaching is different from:
Therapy or Counseling
- Recovery vs Discovery
- Archaeology vs Architecture
- Past-focused vs Present- and Future-focused
- Relief vs Results
- Who is the identified expert
- Who is doing most of the work
- Mentor’s insights/experiences vs the coachee’s insights/experiences
Coaching scenario examples:
- Professional or Personal Development
- Life Events
What does a coaching session look like?
- Conducted one on one via phone/Skype/Zoom/WebEx
- 30 minute session; additional sessions as requested by coachee
- Coachee selects topics on which they want to focus